The Daytona 500 is the largest sporting occasion of the NASCAR season. Amongst its share of star pilots, there have additionally been many feminine pilots. On this International Women’s Day, we check out the trailblazing ladies within the Nice American Race.
In 1977, Janet Guthrie made historical past by turning into the primary feminine driver to qualify and compete within the Indianapolis 500 and Daytona 500. She did so whereas driving for Crew Lynda Ferreri and was sponsored by Kelly Woman.
That very same yr, Guthrie was the highest rookie on the Daytona 500 as she completed ninth on the Indianapolis 500 in 1978. She competed in 19 Winston Cup Collection races, efficiently qualifying for all 19.
Janet Guthrie was born on March 7, 1938 in Iowa Metropolis. Previous to getting into the racing world, Guthrie was a pilot, flight teacher, aerospace engineer, technical author and public consultant for a few of America’s prime firms.
Early in his racing profession, Guthrie stated:
“I had turn into much more deeply concerned in racing. Working had just about taken over my life. This was turning into the subsequent large journey.
In 1976, she was invited by workforce proprietor and automaker Rolla Vollstedt to check their automotive for the Indianapolis 500, which turned out to be a giant break for her on the prime degree of the game. That very same yr, she additionally turned the primary lady to race within the NASCAR Winston Cup Superspeedway.
After her racing profession, she was an outspoken activist towards sexism in NASCAR and the game as a complete. His achievements in motorsport earned him inclusion within the Automotive Corridor of Fame in 2019.
A take a look at Janet Guthrie’s recap of her NASCAR rookie season
Listed below are a few of Janet Guthrie’s finishes in her first NASCAR season:
- · Daytona 500: It was in eighth place with about 10 laps remaining when its engine misplaced two cylinders. She completed in twelfth place and was the highest rookie.
- · Richmond 400: She certified thirteenth and completed twelfth.
- Southeast 500: eleventh
- · Winston 500: She certified thirteenth and completed ninth.
- · CAM2 400: twelfth certified and completed twenty sixth.
- · Firecracker 400: Crankshaft damaged on the eleventh flip.
- Nashville 420: Certified and completed fifteenth.
- · Coca-Cola 500: tenth certified and completed eleventh after a spin on a puncture.
- · Talladega 500: Certified ninth and in flip 1 of the primary lap, the driveshaft of one other automotive went by means of its windscreen. After changing it, the engine exploded.
- · Champion Spark Plug 400: Completed within the prime 10 for the primary time.